Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What does it mean to live with Autism?

Seems like a simple question... but somehow I can't really describe it. I have noticed that everyone seems to be a little different, having a few issues or symptoms that I don't have. For me it's like having...

panic issues, Like when we are out and the given soup of stimulus drives me into a whirlwind and I have to leave or I start to shake and hyperventilate. I can't respond to anything anyone says and if I don't leave the situation early enough... I won't be able to think clearly enough to figure out that I need to leave.

anxiety issues, This one feels a lot like panic, but somehow very different. It's like a wind-up toy, I get all wound up and then instead of doing some cool spinning trick, I snap. When I snap, I cry and rock and if you make a noise or try to console me it'll make it worse. It's best to just leave me alone and make my world quiet until I resolve... usually within an hour. Though it'll take me a full day to be fully functional again.

being neuro-sensitive... which, try to explain to someone what its like to be aware of what seems like every nerve ending on your skin at all times!

having bi-polar... but not like sad/happy bipolar but like "oh I get it" or "hello are you there?" As in... I am either with you and I can follow what is happening be it conversation or action, or I am not with you and you are like, "Hello! Snap out of it!"

and some Tourettes, not so much swearing or a complete inability to control my body... but more along the lines of saying things that are completely inappropriate for the situation. Like when my husband pats me on the back (literally) and I shout... "Would you just stop touching me!" Not really a reasonable response, but its mine. Or when I am telling a story and someone gets that overly shocked look on their face that says, "OMG... Did she just say that?!"

These are the screaming obvious issues that I deal with everyday. So, for today that is my answer.

I went to the midwife today. I forgot to tell her to use a butterfly needle when doing my blood draw. I now have a bruise the size of a Susan B. Anthony dollar and my elbow still hurts. What amazes me is that usually when I have any bruising the person doing the draw was unsteady or made some other mistake. The only thing that went wrong this time, was the gauge of the needle. Note to self: remember to request a butterfly. I guess I had better take some Arnica.

No comments: