Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Changing View?

I read this article today on CNN about whether or not babies should be vaccinated. I found it very interesting because the tone of the article is neither right or left... but somewhere in between. It makes me wonder if we are beginning to see the change. I am not sure how I feel about vaccines and their relation to Autism. The research that supports a link, doesn't fit my standard on research. However, the research that does not support a link is not definitive by any means. I tend to be overly logical in my thought processes and the evidence we see in life does not lead me to believe that vaccines are the root of the problem. My parents generation was vaccinated to a very similar degree as our generation. Some of their vaccines were much more dangerous than vaccines today are because they were "live" vaccines. And yet, we don't see Autism in that generation to the degree that we see it today.

I am very curious to see what comes of this changing attitude. I hope that it'll allow for the proper research to be done so that we can determine without question how and why Autism develops and how to treat it.

On a personal note:

My son received his MMR at the scheduled time and immediately began to express the classic symptoms of Autism. I took him to the doctor, who acknowledged that we could be looking at an Autism diagnosis. Then he baffled me, he wanted to wait and watch, and see what happened to my son before diagnosing or attempting any therapy or treatment. By the time I had gone to see him about it, my son had be self stimulating (spinning) and had not made eye contact in one month. I was shocked. I didn't know about myself at this point, but having two small children I knew that Autism needed early treatment. Unfortunately, we were in a small town and he was the best pediatrician there. And there were no DAN Drs. So, I researched myself and decided that the only safe thing to do was put my son on the Autism diet immediately. We followed it strictly, no exceptions for 6 months. After the first month... all the symptoms went away. He did not recover his vocabulary and I would say remained in a "high function" status. Eventually, we began adding some of the omitted foods and his condition did not change. We still omit dairy and avoid wheat.

Related Links:

The CNN Article: Should I Vaccinate My Baby?
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/family/06/19/ep.vaccines/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Defeat Autism Now Site
http://www.defeatautismnow.com/

No comments: